What is Summer Meal Partners?
Feeding the Mind and the Body
Summer Meal Partners (SMP) of Northwest Ohio is dedicated to making sure every child is offered nutritious meals at no cost each summer. SMP is a collaboration of community organizations that have joined together to form community wide partnerships designed to create enrichment opportunities at meal sites in order to:
- Increase attendance
- Prevent learning loss
- Educate children about nutrition basics
- Encourage children to return each day
- Ensure greater supervision and safety for the children
- Engage Children in fun activities
SMP works to develop innovative approaches to eliminate barriers for children, implement community-wide solutions to hunger, and obtain key data to drive decision making.
Summer Meal and Programming Sites
Looking for information on Summer Meal Sites?
All summer meal and programming sites will be listed here via PDF and on the Parent Calendar on this website. Summer Meal Partners Master list 2019 6 4 19
For more information about Summer Meal Partners, please contact Wendi Huntley at Connecting Kids to Meals.
(419) 720-1106 or [email protected]
Also, like us on Facebook.
The Toledo Lucas County Public Library and TARTA have teamed up to offer students who are enrolled in the library’s Summer Reading Club, free rides to the library.
This summer K-12 student members of the Summer Reading Club ride free to and from their favorite library in the TARTA service area by showing their hang tags, key chain or reading folder! Guess what our local libraries are also a Summer Meal Partner!
For more information on how to find your ride, please call 419-243-7433 to speak to an information operator with TARTA or visit TARTA online at TARTA.com.
Pictures from our
Summer Meal Partners Kick Off 2019!
(click to enlarge)
- The Summer Food Service Program was established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to fill the gap during out of school time when children who especially rely on breakfast and lunch being provided at school will still receive nutritious meals.
- There are 50,000 children in Lucas County eligible for free and reduced-price school meals. Of these children, more than half are estimated to be living in food insecure households where consistent access to adequate food is limited by lack of money and other resources.
- During the summer months, children are 2 to 3 times more likely to gain weight.
- Over 80% of the students in the Toledo Public School District and over 60% of Washington Local Schools students qualify for free or reduced meals.
- In Lucas County alone, 40% of the population lives in poverty.
- Lack of proper nutrition can result in increased health, mental and behavioral problems. Poor nutritional intake affects a child’s learning potential.
THANK YOU TO OUR SUMMER MEAL PARTNERS FUNDERS AND PARTNERS!
|TOLEDO COMMUNITY FOUNDATION (Strategic Alliance Partnership Grant)||PROMEDICA & 5K TO END HUNGER|
|TOLEDO ROADRUNNERS||TOLEDO PUBLIC SCHOOLS|
|WASHINGTON LOCAL SCHOOLS||CHILDREN’S HUNGER ALLIANCE|
|CONNECTING KIDS TO MEALS||HICKORY FARMS|
|MERCY HEALTH||OWENS CORNING|
|PARTNERS IN EDUCATION||TARTA|
|UNITED WAY OF GREATER TOLEDO||THREAD MARKETING GROUP|
|YMCA OF GREATER TOLEDO/JCC||LIVE WELL|
|THE JUICE||THE CITY OF TOLEDO|