Summer Meal Partners
Feeding the Mind and the Body.
Summer Meal Partners (SMP) of Northwest Ohio is dedicated to making sure every child is offered nutritious meals at no cost each summer. SMP is a collaboration of community organizations that have joined together to form community wide partnerships designed to create enrichment opportunities at meal sites in order to:
- Increase attendance
- Prevent learning loss
- Educate children about nutrition basics
- Encourage children to return each day
- Ensure greater supervision and safety for the children
- Engage Children in fun activities
SMP works to develop innovative approaches to eliminate barriers for children, implement community wide solutions to hunger, and obtain key data to drive decision making.
February 20, 2018 at ProMedica Market on the Green – Summer Meal Partners Community Awareness Event.
Hungry? Many needy kids are hungry in the Toledo area. Thread Marketing Group and our own Whitney Rofkar worked hard to highlight the amazing new community kitchen of Connecting Kids to Meals and…
- The Summer Food Service Program was established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to fill the gap during out of school time when children who especially rely on breakfast and lunch being provided at school will still receive nutritious meals.
- There are 50,000 children in Lucas County eligible for free and reduced price school meals. Of these children, more than half are estimated to be living in food insecure households where consistent access to adequate food is limited by lack of money and other resources.
- During the summer months, children are 2 to 3 times more likely to gain weight.
- Over 80% of the students in the Toledo Public School District qualify for free or reduced meals.
- In Toledo, 24% of the population lives in poverty.
- Lack of proper nutrition can result in increased health, mental and behavioral problems. Poor nutritional intake affects a child’s learning potential.
- Just under 170 site locations across Lucas, Wood and Williams Counties
- SMP served 315,871 healthy meals to children (this is a new record; up from 301,000 last summer)
- 79% of the SMP sites had meaningful programming taking place
- SMP served 5,436 meals at mobile shelters in partnership with TPS and WLS
THANK YOU TO OUR SUMMER MEAL PARTNER FUNDERS !
TOLEDO COMMUNITY FOUNDATION (Strategic Partnership Fund)
PROMEDICA – 5K TO END HUNGER
TOLEDO ROAD RUNNERS
TOLEDO PUBLIC SCHOOLS
WASHINGTON LOCAL SCHOOLS
CHILDREN’S HUNGER ALLIANCE
CONNECTING KIDS TO MEALS
PARTNERS IN EDUCATION
UNITED WAY OF GREATER TOLEDO