Knowledge and Skills for Stronger Families.
Parent University offers a variety of opportunities, including courses, training, and family events to help parents ensure their children’s success.
The concept of Parent University launched in the 1980s to provide greater opportunities for parent involvement in Kindergarten through 12th grade schools. Parent Universities have become a promising nationwide program to help families develop knowledge and skills that enable them to be proactive in their children’s learning and growth. View our calendar of events here.
Parent University in Toledo
Parent University was launched in 2015 by Toledo Public Schools through Partners In Education. Our goal is to inform and empower parents and help schools and the community form stronger bonds that lead to student success and happy, healthy families. Our Parent University catalog and calendar offer access to FREE classes and opportunities for parents and adults involved in the lives of all Toledo-area students.
Classes are located throughout the Toledo, Ohio area – most offer free childcare or involve families in joint programming. Some programs offer meals and transportation assistance. Our classes bring together community organizations, businesses, higher education and Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12 school leaders, teachers, fellow parents and caregivers to connect you, the parent/caregiver, with information and resources.
Our Parent Advisory Board, made up of parents and caregivers in Toledo, helps us create a calendar filled with opportunities that parents tell us they need most. Partners in Education’s Parent Engagement Manager can also connect you to volunteer opportunities in your child’s school to learn more about the school, the teachers and the nonprofit partners that are working with parents and schools to create the best possible future for your child. Contact Parent University at 419-242-2122 for more information.
Upcoming Parent University Workshops and Events
Others are listed on the right side of this webpage.
Join us for our very first Parent University
- There is no cost for this event.
- Breakfast will be served to all attendees.
- Free childcare and free transportation assistance are available.
- Please Register Here to Let Us Know You Are Coming or call Erin at 419-242-2122
Our catalog has arrived. Look for print copies in all area TPS schools or view our online version below.
Click below for a PDF of the 2018-19 classes being offered through Parent University and our partners.
Sign up for our e-newsletter and electronic flyers for Parent University.
Specialized Workshops – Contact Us About a Partnership
All in for Kindergarten Workshops
Preschool and Kindergarten Parent Series at Family House Shelter
This series is presented for residents of Family House through a grant from Anderson Family Fund at Toledo Community Foundation. A light dinner is provided for all family members.
Parents and children learn together about Kindergarten-readiness, the Kindergarten Readiness Assessments
that schools give and the best way to prepare children for success in elementary school. At each session, families receive:
- A special toy (one per child) to help students develop gross motor skills while mastering counting and other preschool skills
- Resources families to take home to assist with gross-motor development
- Time to ask questions of an early childhood specialist regarding Kindergarten readiness
- Games that families can play together. It’s all about creating family-fun memories.
Thank you to Toledo Community Foundation and The Andersons for their support of these opportunities for families. And many thanks to our partners, Family House – Toledo Area Metroparks – Toledo Lucas County Public Library, Toledo Head Start and YWCA.
EDUCATION SPECIALIST – PARENT UNIVERSITY CHILD CARE NEEDED
This position is for a contracted service provider.
Parent University is an initiative sponsored by Toledo Public Schools to educate, engage and inspire parents and families in the Toledo-area. Parent and family workshops are offered throughout the school year on a variety of topics from student success to parent leadership to family health and safety. Classes are free and open to the public.
Location: Work locations will vary depending on workshop locations.
- Start Date: Immediately
- Hours Per Week: Varies (3-8)
- Salary: 10.00 – 12.00 per hour commensurate with certification and experience
Questions? Contact: Parent Engagement Manager, Erin O’Bryan- firstname.lastname@example.org
Parent University Education Specialists will:
- Facilitate hands-on activities with a variety of children ages 1-10 during parent engagement and family workshops.
- Ensure the health and safety of all children under your care and the safe return of each child to their parent or caregiver.
- Report data. Maintain accurate/required paperwork (i.e. attendance records, etc.) for purposes of evaluation/reports, etc.
- Communicate successes and challenges to Parent Engagement Manager as they arise.
- Undertake and perform additional duties as directed by Program Manager.
- Model a culture of collaboration and excellence.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Be adept at working with diverse populations in a variety of settings from classrooms to libraries to parks to coffee shops.
- The ideal candidate will have had some teaching or student teaching experience in an early education or elementary school setting. An understanding of inquiry-based instruction is helpful. Some college coursework preferred.
- Excellent college internship opportunity.
Learn about the importance of Early Learning and Kindergarten in this video from Ohio Department of Education
Toledo Public Schools
Toledo Public Schools’ mission is to produce competitive college and career ready graduates through a rigorous curriculum across all grade levels by implementing Ohio’s New Learning Standards with fidelity. Toledo Public Schools serves students of the city of Toledo and is the fourth largest in the state.
Parent University serves Toledo Public Schools by providing Parent University as their district-wide parent engagement program, launched in Fall 2015. Many of our classes are lead by TPS administrators, teachers, and parents and TPS partners. Together, we are working to support a community of engaged parents who work with their children’s’ schools to enhance student success.
YWCA Northwest Ohio
The YWCA of Northwest Ohio works to eliminate racism and empower women. They provide safe places for women and girls, build strong women leaders, and advocate for women’s rights and civil rights in Congress.
We collaborate with YWCA on learning opportunities for parents with young children.
The Anderson Foundation
Offers grants primarily for community funds, higher and secondary education, and cultural programs; support also for social service and youth agencies, civic and community efforts, educational and research associations, and religion.
In 2016, the Board of Trustees of the Anderson Foundation partnered with the Toledo Community Foundation to release a special funding opportunity to area nonprofit organizations providing services that are aligned with the goals of Aspire. Parent University received a grant through this opportunity for our All in for Kindergarten initiative.
Toledo-Lucas County Public Library
The Toledo Lucas County Public Library provides information, education and technology to help the community live, learn and grow.
TLCPL partners with Parent University to provide programming for all ages.
Metroparks of the Toledo Area
The mission of Metroparks Toledo is to conserve the region’s natural resources by creating, developing, improving, protecting, and promoting clean, safe, and natural parks and open spaces for the benefit, enjoyment, education, and general welfare of the public.