Summer Meal Partners
Background & Goals
Summer Meal Partners (SMP) of Northwest Ohio is dedicated to making sure every child is offered nutritious meals at no cost each summer. SMP is a collaboration of community organizations that have joined together to form community wide partnerships designed to create enrichment opportunities at meal sites in order to:
- Increase attendance
- Prevent learning loss
- Educate children about nutrition basics
- Encourage children to return each day
- Ensure greater supervision and safety for the children
SMP works to develop innovative approaches to eliminate barriers for children, implement community wide solutions to hunger, and obtain key data to drive decision making.
- There are 50,000 children in Lucas County eligible for free and reduced price school meals. Of these children, more than half are estimated to be living in food insecure households where consistent access to adequate food is limited by lack of money and other resources.
- During the summer months, children are 2 to 3 times more likely to gain weight.
- Over 80% of the students in the Toledo Public School District qualify for free or reduced meals.
- In Toledo, 24% of the population lives in poverty.
- Lack of proper nutrition can result in increased health, mental and behavioral problems. Poor nutritional intake affects a child’s learning potential.
- The Summer Food Service Program was established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to fill the gap during out of school time when children who especially rely on breakfast and lunch being provided at school will still receive nutritious meals.
THANK YOU TO OUR FUNDERS THAT HELPED SUMMER MEAL PARTNERS!
TOLEDO COMMUNITY FOUNDATION
PROMEDICA – 5K TO END HUNGER
TOLEDO PUBLIC SCHOOLS
WASHINGTON LOCAL SCHOOLS
CHILDREN’S HUNGER ALLIANCE
CONNECTING KIDS TO MEALS
PARTNERS IN EDUCATION
UNITED WAY OF GREATER TOLEDO