What is a Success Mentor?
Success Mentors are recruited among the corporate, nonprofit and faith-based partners, community members and volunteers at large, and students’ family members to ensure a brighter, more productive future for Toledo’s youth.
Community members not only serve as mentors in the program but also as models of success to increase the students’ beliefs in a positive future. Mentors commit to long-term relationships with students to nurture trust and help guide students through different processes for problem solving and decision making in a variety of areas in students’ lives. Family members as mentors reinforce that students are loved, valued and capable of having strong character.
Who We Are
Success Mentors program currently operates in one grade school, Pickett Elementary, in Toledo Public Schools (TPS), serving grades 5 – 6. Relationships created through the program ensure a brighter, more productive future for students while adding meaning to the mentors’ lives. The weekly contact between mentors and students provides opportunities to develop a close relationship by engaging in structured activities and meaningful conversations to develop students’ critical-thinking, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
Through this program, students feel they have a partner in their journey. This helps increase student’s resiliency, which in turn contributes to self-esteem and a sense of belonging to overcome the stressors of poverty such as mental health issues, violent behaviors, crime, and suicide.
Success Mentors program goals respond to the five Community Connectors core principles using best practices.. Success Mentors is designed to help students:
- Learn to set goals and monitor progress that lead to success in education and employment.
- Develop positive character traits needed for success in education and employment.
- Solve problems and make decisions that lead to success in education and employment.
- Overcome barriers to success to in education and employment.
- Envision a positive future and take the necessary actions to experience a positive future.
How We Do It
Success Mentors’ design features a unique combination of three mentoring models to achieve the program’s goals: one-on-one mentoring; small group mentoring; and large group mentoring. A significant emphasis will be placed on one-on-one mentoring involving a community leader or family member. Additionally, Success Mentor Specialists includes large group activities and small group mentoring when appropriate.
Success Mentors is based on the delivery of:
- Developmentally appropriate curricula.
- Engaging activities and projects that develop the core principles of setting goals to be prepared for the 21st Century careers.
- Building character and resiliency.
- Exploring pathways to achievement.
- Believing in a positive future.